to Jim's Tips!
I’m Jim Barr, and jimstips.com is one of my little corners of the Internet–my voice for all things tech. I love riding on the bleeding edge of technology, and I love exploring new gadgets, services, Web sites, programs, and anything interesting! Here you will find all sorts of tips and information about those things that interest me.
Thanks for visiting!
The Geek finds (another) hobby I’m a geek by hobby and profession with some experience in Web design, image conversion, desktop publishing, electronics, etc. I’ve always had a love for processes that can take a virtual design on a computer and result in a physical item. So I looked looking into
I just purchased a Kindle 3G+Special Offers ebook reader, and I have to say that it has far exceeded my expectations. To me, when assessing a device like this, it is always important to put into perspective just exactly what such a device can and cannot do. First, what the
In an earlier post, I moaned about how though Vonage was a great service, it just didn’t fit our needs due to several significant shortcomings. Well times change, and so have my views about Vonage. We recently got a faster, more reliable Internet connection through Charter Cable, and decided to
Many years ago, I played around with an “online desktop” site called eyeOS. After playing around with the CR-48, it got me thinking that a virtual, online desktop just might be useful on the CR-48. Remember, the CR-48 is a completely Web-centric device. It is truly a “cloud computer” because
I love the CR-48’s fast bootup, and I absolutely love its instant-on feature: Leave it powered on, close the lid, and when you re-open it, it’s instantly on where you left off. This standby mode is easy on batteries, and it is extremely useful to me. BUT… I just realized
Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are plenty of examples (like…
- Tip: Turn Off Conversation View in Gmail Mobile
- Google removing Contacts shortcut and old interface from legacy Gmail
- Gmail login: How to sign in and out of Google Gmail account
- Gmail for iOS and Android now lets you turn off conversation view
- 10 useful Gmail settings you’ll wish you knew sooner
- Useful Gmail settings you’ll wish you knew sooner
- ‘Nocturne’ Will Be The First Chromebook With A Finger Print Scanner
- What does Android Pie mean for Chromebooks?
- ASUS Chromebook 12 C223 goes official w/ Intel Celeron, 4GB RAM
- Lenovo 500e Chromebook review:
- Pixelbook may be the only current Chromebook to get Windows 10 support
- More Features For #madebyGoogle Chromebook ‘Nocturne’ Emerge
- Your next Chromebook could dual-boot Windows 10
- Acer’s new Chromebook 13 laptops start at $650 and come out in September
Windows 10 News
- What to know about Windows 10 and ‘Microsoft Managed Desktop’
- Windows 10 Linux Distribution Overload? We have just the thing
- Microsoft releases new Windows 10 preview with Narrator changes and improvements
- Don’t you just love Windows 10 refreshes, yells Lenovo
- A closer look at File Explorer’s new dark mode in Windows 10
- Microsoft’s new Xbox avatars now available for Windows 10 testers
- How to disable secure desktop during User Account Control prompt on Windows 10
- Google may add Windows 10 dual-boot option to Chromebooks