to Jim's Tips!
I’m Jim Barr, and jimstips.com is one of my little corners of the Internet–my voice for all things tech. I love riding on the bleeding edge of technology, and I love exploring new gadgets, services, Web sites, programs, and anything interesting! Here you will find all sorts of tips and information about those things that interest me.
Thanks for visiting!
The Geek finds (another) hobby I’m a geek by hobby and profession with some experience in Web design, image conversion, desktop publishing, electronics, etc. I’ve always had a love for processes that can take a virtual design on a computer and result in a physical item. So I looked looking into
I just purchased a Kindle 3G+Special Offers ebook reader, and I have to say that it has far exceeded my expectations. To me, when assessing a device like this, it is always important to put into perspective just exactly what such a device can and cannot do. First, what the
In an earlier post, I moaned about how though Vonage was a great service, it just didn’t fit our needs due to several significant shortcomings. Well times change, and so have my views about Vonage. We recently got a faster, more reliable Internet connection through Charter Cable, and decided to
Many years ago, I played around with an “online desktop” site called eyeOS. After playing around with the CR-48, it got me thinking that a virtual, online desktop just might be useful on the CR-48. Remember, the CR-48 is a completely Web-centric device. It is truly a “cloud computer” because
I love the CR-48’s fast bootup, and I absolutely love its instant-on feature: Leave it powered on, close the lid, and when you re-open it, it’s instantly on where you left off. This standby mode is easy on batteries, and it is extremely useful to me. BUT… I just realized
Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are plenty of examples (like…
- Acer Chromebook Spin 13 is $699 on Amazon’s Deal of the Day ($200 off) – Android Police
- Samsung’s $129 Chromebook 3 Is a Great Cyber Monday Deal – Laptop Mag
- Thunder Purple, Night Sight, Chromebook, and Black Friday (MobileTechRoundup show #451) – ZDNet
- Security in place on school Chromebooks after mom says son saw ‘murder video’ – Asbury Park Press
- Best Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP, and more – ZDNet
Windows 10 News
- Microsoft release new Cumulative Update for Windows 10 users on the Long-Term Servicing Channel – MSPoweruser
- How to reset Windows 10 without using the Settings app – TWCN Tech News
- Microsoft trash talks Windows 10 LTSC – again – Computerworld
- How to install Windows 10 on the 2018 Mac mini using Boot Camp Assistant [Video] – 9to5Mac
- Why, in 2018, is Microsoft adding security questions to Windows 10? – Ars Technica
- How to fix Error 0xc0000005 on Windows 10 – TWCN Tech News
- One Key Calendar review: Attempting to bring Google Calendar to Windows 10 – Windows Central
- How to enable AV1 video playback support in Windows 10 – Windows Central