to Jim's Tips!
I’m Jim Barr, and jimstips.com is one of my little corners of the Internet–my voice for all things tech. I love riding on the bleeding edge of technology, and I love exploring new gadgets, services, Web sites, programs, and anything interesting! Here you will find all sorts of tips and information about those things that interest me.
Thanks for visiting!
The Geek finds (another) hobby I’m a geek by hobby and profession with some experience in Web design, image conversion, desktop publishing, electronics, etc. I’ve always had a love for processes that can take a virtual design on a computer and result in a physical item. So I looked looking into
I just purchased a Kindle 3G+Special Offers ebook reader, and I have to say that it has far exceeded my expectations. To me, when assessing a device like this, it is always important to put into perspective just exactly what such a device can and cannot do. First, what the
In an earlier post, I moaned about how though Vonage was a great service, it just didn’t fit our needs due to several significant shortcomings. Well times change, and so have my views about Vonage. We recently got a faster, more reliable Internet connection through Charter Cable, and decided to
Many years ago, I played around with an “online desktop” site called eyeOS. After playing around with the CR-48, it got me thinking that a virtual, online desktop just might be useful on the CR-48. Remember, the CR-48 is a completely Web-centric device. It is truly a “cloud computer” because
I love the CR-48’s fast bootup, and I absolutely love its instant-on feature: Leave it powered on, close the lid, and when you re-open it, it’s instantly on where you left off. This standby mode is easy on batteries, and it is extremely useful to me. BUT… I just realized
Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are plenty of examples (like…
- 7 Gmail tips every emailer should know
- You Can Now @ People in Gmail
- Here’s how to send emails that expire with Gmail’s new ‘confidential mode’
- Does the New Gmail Feel Horribly Slow, Or Is It Just Me?
- You can now try Smart Compose in the new Gmail
- Gmail will now use artificial intelligence to write emails for you
- Mixmax Juices Up Your Gmail Jam
- Acer Announces New 13 and 15-Inch Chromebooks
- Acer’s new premium Chromebooks are made for business
- Acer Boosts Chromebook Lineup, Teases Predator X Desktop
- South Bend school students will each have Chromebooks soon
- Top 10 Best Chromebooks – May 2018
- Why Linux apps on Chromebooks are a really big deal (really!)
- Best Buy opens pre-orders for HP’s 2-in-1 Chromebook
- Chromebooks will soon be able to run your favorite Linux apps
Windows 10 News
- How to manage file access permissions for apps on Windows 10 April 2018 Update
- Microsoft pushing Win10 version 1803 to PCs specifically set to avoid it
- Windows 10 tip: How to turn on System Protection and create System Restore points
- Windows 10 quick tips: 10 ways to speed up your PC
- Windows 10 Adoption Grew 75%, Adobe Flash Plummeted 188% in 2017: Report
- 5 things Microsoft should do to further integrate Windows 10 and Android
- New Windows 10 code may hint at upcoming Surface Phone