to Jim's Tips!
I’m Jim Barr, and jimstips.com is one of my little corners of the Internet–my voice for all things tech. I love riding on the bleeding edge of technology, and I love exploring new gadgets, services, Web sites, programs, and anything interesting! Here you will find all sorts of tips and information about those things that interest me.
Thanks for visiting!
The Geek finds (another) hobby I’m a geek by hobby and profession with some experience in Web design, image conversion, desktop publishing, electronics, etc. I’ve always had a love for processes that can take a virtual design on a computer and result in a physical item. So I looked looking into
I just purchased a Kindle 3G+Special Offers ebook reader, and I have to say that it has far exceeded my expectations. To me, when assessing a device like this, it is always important to put into perspective just exactly what such a device can and cannot do. First, what the
In an earlier post, I moaned about how though Vonage was a great service, it just didn’t fit our needs due to several significant shortcomings. Well times change, and so have my views about Vonage. We recently got a faster, more reliable Internet connection through Charter Cable, and decided to
Many years ago, I played around with an “online desktop” site called eyeOS. After playing around with the CR-48, it got me thinking that a virtual, online desktop just might be useful on the CR-48. Remember, the CR-48 is a completely Web-centric device. It is truly a “cloud computer” because
I love the CR-48’s fast bootup, and I absolutely love its instant-on feature: Leave it powered on, close the lid, and when you re-open it, it’s instantly on where you left off. This standby mode is easy on batteries, and it is extremely useful to me. BUT… I just realized
Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are plenty of examples (like…
- Hotmail to Gmail transfer: How to transfer contacts and emails from Hotmail to Gmail
- Streak CRM for Gmail
- How to Go Back to the Old Gmail
- Gmail faces scrutiny for privacy practices—here’s how to secure your email
- Lawmakers Press Google on Gmail Privacy
- How to secure Gmail and stop developers reading your messages
- How to Stop Third-Party Companies From Reading Your Gmail
- Chromebook prices are at an all-time low for the next two days
- Switching to a Chromebook? Here’s What You Need to Know
- Microsoft’s Surface Go can learn from past Chromebook blunders
- How to Speed Up Your Chromebook
- What makes a Chromebook so secure?
- Review: Acer’s Chromebook Tab 10 is great for school, not as much for you
- Give your student a refurbished HP 14 Chromebook for $110
Windows 10 News
- Windows 10 IoT Core Services unleashed to public preview
- How to Use the Touch Keyboard in Windows 10 | PCMag.com
- How to Stop Windows 10 Auto-Installing Updates
- How to Play AVI files in Windows 10
- Microsoft rolls out Windows 10 SDK preview build 17713 for developers
- Keep Track of the Sites You Visit Each Day With This Browser Extension for Windows 10
- How to set notification priorities with Focus Assist in Windows 10
- It walks, it talks, it falls over a bit. Windows 10 is three years old