to Jim's Tips!
I’m Jim Barr, and jimstips.com is one of my little corners of the Internet–my voice for all things tech. I love riding on the bleeding edge of technology, and I love exploring new gadgets, services, Web sites, programs, and anything interesting! Here you will find all sorts of tips and information about those things that interest me.
Thanks for visiting!
The Geek finds (another) hobby I’m a geek by hobby and profession with some experience in Web design, image conversion, desktop publishing, electronics, etc. I’ve always had a love for processes that can take a virtual design on a computer and result in a physical item. So I looked looking into
I just purchased a Kindle 3G+Special Offers ebook reader, and I have to say that it has far exceeded my expectations. To me, when assessing a device like this, it is always important to put into perspective just exactly what such a device can and cannot do. First, what the
In an earlier post, I moaned about how though Vonage was a great service, it just didn’t fit our needs due to several significant shortcomings. Well times change, and so have my views about Vonage. We recently got a faster, more reliable Internet connection through Charter Cable, and decided to
Many years ago, I played around with an “online desktop” site called eyeOS. After playing around with the CR-48, it got me thinking that a virtual, online desktop just might be useful on the CR-48. Remember, the CR-48 is a completely Web-centric device. It is truly a “cloud computer” because
I love the CR-48’s fast bootup, and I absolutely love its instant-on feature: Leave it powered on, close the lid, and when you re-open it, it’s instantly on where you left off. This standby mode is easy on batteries, and it is extremely useful to me. BUT… I just realized
Posted by Nishit Shah, Product Manager, Google Security(Cross-posted from the Google Blog)Has anyone you know ever lost control of an email account and inadvertently sent spam—or worse—to their friends and family? There are plenty of examples (like…
- Beyond Gmail: The new race to reinvent your inbox
- Gmail and Slack Are More Than Just Messaging Tools: They’re Problematic Storage Solutions
- 9 Cool Tricks for Outlook.com That You Can’t Do in Gmail
- How to Set Up and Use Gmail Delegates
- How Do I Customize How My Contacts Appear in Gmail?
- Why I Am Switching To Secure ProtonMail From Insecure Google Gmail
- Gmail for iOS now lets you view all of your accounts in a single inbox
- Best Chromebook Black Friday Deals 2018
- CTL And Sprint Launch LTE-enabled Chromebook
- How to install Chrome OS on any non-Chromebook PC or tablet
- Amazon cuts the price of Chromebooks ahead of Black Friday
- Every South Central Elementary student now equipped with Google Chromebook
- What the Chromebook needs before it’s going to be considered a real computer [Opinion]
- Acer Chromebook Spin 13 review: The best Chromebook, but at what cost?
Windows 10 News
- Microsoft turns on the lights with a new white theme in Windows 10 update
- Microsoft releases Windows 10 build 18282 to the Fast Ring with a new Light theme and more
- deepin 15.8 Linux distribution available for download — replace Windows 10 now!
- How to use PowerShell to scan for Windows 10 security updates
- Microsoft reveals new Windows 10 light theme
- Alexa on Windows 10 Hands-On: Useful, with 1 Big Catch
- New Windows 10 19H1 test build adds new security, high DPI settings
- You can now use Amazon Alexa on a Windows 10 computer — Here’s how